Freelancer positions are those types of jobs that greatly depend on the person and individual who perform it. Under German administration system there is a difference between Freelancer (Freiberufler) and self-employed (selbststaendiger/Gewerbetreibender). Although both titles represent jobs that you are not employed and are your own boss and have to manage your job independently but as self-employed you must register yourself at the business registration office.

Who is Freelancer


The distinction between freelancer and self-employed positions is very important as you can only work as freelancer if your profession is categorised under this type. Examples of freelancer jobs include artists, journalists, doctors, attorneys, business and commercial advisors, performers, authors, interpreters, scholars, teachers and a comprehensive list of similar professions.

Furthermore, Artist Visa is also a special subcategory of Freelancer Visa that is granted to writers, journalists and artists of all types. The difference of this type of visa is that their application may not be required to be checked with the Chamber of Commerce as prior condition for grant of visa.


If the job is listed as commercial job, you can register yourself as businessperson “Gewerbe”. Examples of self-employed are real estate agencies, commercial intermediary, cafe holder and similar professions that are engaged mainly with a business activity

What are the requirements for freelancer visa  


Applicants of EU/EEA (including Switzerland) and citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America do not need entry visa to Germany however within 3 months as of date of arrival in Germany should refer to the local immigration office in order to make an application for staying in Germany as freelancer. This request should be made during or before the laps of three months as of the date of arrival in Germany.  

Other citizens that are considered as third country citizens should apply for the entrance visa before the local German Embassy or Consulate under the title of working as freelancer in Germany. Upon entering to Germany, application to getting the residence permit under the title of freelancer can be made before the local immigration office in the city of your location in Germany.   

2.Personal Capabilities

CV: Providing an overview on your academic and professional background and expertise with referral to your success or achievements as freelancer or the employers with whom you have worked locally or internationally.  

Motivation Letter: Describing your motivation for working and moving to Germany, your targeted market and German companies, its relevance with your expertise, academic studies and profession. 

Language Skills: You can refer to your language skills including English and German and if any other language is relevant to your professional market such as Spanish, Porteguise and etc. 

Financial Plan: Providing a financial plan with an overview on the operational costs, your rate, expected profit and plausible outlook on your prospective financial state in Germany. 

3.Insurance and Pension

Getting German insurance prior to your registration and presence in Germany is complicated. Nevertheless, the visa application can be supported with a travel insurance or insurance services that are offered to expats that will cover  your stay in Germany; accordingly you can apply for adequate insurance inside the country. In Germany there are two main categories of insurance as public and private insurance which depending on your job criteria you can gain the appropriate insurance. Public insurance is normally granted to employees while freelancers should apply for the private insurance unless you have other possibilities that put you in a position to apply for a public insurance. 

Applicants that are more than 45 years old and work as freelancer should also apply for a pension insurance.  


Rental contract or proof of home ownership.

Invitation letter by a Person who is residing in Germany and has provided documents on accommodation possibility for your stay.

Hotel reservation for short period of your stay with the possibility to get a rental agreement.

5.Financial Resources

Proof on sufficient fund for covering your freelance costs in Germany.

Bank statement proving availability of enough fund for your professional and personal living costs. 

Balance sheet of your freelancing profit and loss during years of activity with perspective on its stability in the future or on its growth after moving to Germany


University degree or equivalent document in one of the fields that providing services as freelancer is accepted in Germany. If you are a graduate of one of German universities and in continuation of your study or research plan you want to stay and work in Germany as self-employed or freelancer, subject of your business activity should be aligned with your studies and closely connected to the expertise you have acquired during study or research.

Professional authorisation or license that admit your working in named profession e.g. medical or attorney license.

Proof on your expertise by providing recommendations from previous employers or testimonial from previous and current customers

Letters of intent or commitment from German customers that show their interest to work with you upon your set of activity in Germany. 

Portfolios that demonstrate how good you are in your job and how you can perform your skills