The EU Blue Card is a work and residence permit offered to highly qualified skilled citizens of non-EU countries. The grant of right of residency and working under this title is one of the directives of the EU that in August 2012 has been ratified by the German government. The EU Blue Card is also offered to the students who have finished their studies in one of the universities in Germany and found a job which fulfils the conditions for receiving an EU Blue Card. 

Who is eligible?


The EU Blue Card is offered to non-EU citizens. Exceptions to visa requirement applies to Citizens of Auastralia, Canda, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America. Nationals of the European Union (EU) member countries, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are not considered as third country nationals for the purpose of visa or EU Blue Card requirements as they already have the freedom of taking any job position in Germany. 

University Graduate

As a university graduate of German or non German university you would have the chance of gaining EU Blue Card, if you can find a job in Germany that meets requirements for grant of EU Blue Card. As a Graduate of German university you will have easier possibilities to find a job in Germany along with the visa that is granted to you to look for job opportunities. If you are coming from a third country and are graduate from a non-German university, you should look for the appropriate job opportunity in advance, either while you are in your home country or when you are in Germany by a Job Seeking Visa

Skilled Workers

The EU Blue Card is actually a residency permit that is offered to skilled workers with specific qualification. Therefore, if you are graduate of university or have got vocational training certificate that qualifies you for a special profession, and subject to meeting other requirements for the Blue Card, you can consider chance of gaining EU Blue Card through having an employment agreement with a German employer. 


EU Blue Card is not offered to Entrepreneurs, freelancers and self-employed. You must present a job employment agreement or binding job offer in order to be eligible to apply for the EU Blue Card. 

Federal Employment Agency

The Federal Employment Agency should approve grant of EU Blue Card to a non-EU national in Germany. This approval is granted if (1) the employment of foreigner does not result in any adverse consequences for the labour market and (2) no German workers, foreigners who possess the same legal status as German workers or other foreigners who are entitled to preferential access to the labour market under the law of the European Union are available for the type of employment concerned and (3) it has established that filling the vacancies with foreign applicants is justifiable in terms of labour market policy and integration aspects.

What are advantages?


The duration of the Blue Card depends on the duration of the Employment Contract, however, normally the Blue Card is initially granted for a maximum of 4 years. Holders of an EU Blue Card who  have a B1 German Certificate can apply for permanent residency in Germany after 21 months. Otherwise, application for permanent residency can be submitted after three years since the time of issuance of the Blue Card provided that the applicant possesses a permanent job contract.

Family Reunion

You are allowed to bring your spouse and your minor children, same sex partner (by holding civil partnership) to Germany. You have to provide proof of relationship and enough financial resources to sponsor your family. Suitable accommodation and health insurance are other requirements that should be provided for this application. Knowing German language is not a requirement for family reunification of a Blue Card holder, although it is always an important factor for integration in the society and for finding a job. Family members of EU Blue Card holder have also access to German labour market. 


After 18 months EU Blue Card holder can move to another EU member state without any visa requirement and to gain EU Blue Card of that member state within one month. EU Blue Card holder can have a visa-free stay up to 90 days within 180 days in one of the Schengen area member states.  

Holder of EU Blue Card can go to a non-EU member state for 12 consecutive months without its Blue Card being expired. This provision also apply for the family members.   

What are requirements?

Academic and Professional Record

To qualify for the EU Blue Card the applicant should have a University degree from a German university or an equivalent/comparable foreign degree. Verification of the foreign degrees could be checked in anabin and ZAB. Having relevant professional experience provides a great assistance for finding suitable job that corresponds with the Blue Card requirements but per se is not a prerequisite. 


The Blue Card is granted to those that have an employment contract for a job position in Germany  with payment of minimum of 55,200 Euro (2020) annually. In specific fields that suffer from shortage of skilled labor the minimum salary for grant of the EU Blue Card is 43,056 Euro (2020). Generally, the lower minimum salary requirement is applicable to jobs for engineers, qualified communications and technology experts, medical doctors and certain other fields. Professionals in science, research and development, and managers may be exempted from approval requirement of Federal Employment Agency.  

Other Common Documents

Other needed documents for application should be checked with the local German Embassy as these could be different from country to country. Nevertheless a valid passport, filled in application form, biometrics photo, proof of relationship such as marriage certificate, child birth certificate, proof of custody, partnership certificate, CV, proof of place of residency may be needed depending on your case. All documents should be officially translated and certified.